Sunday, November 28, 2010

birthWEEK...i'm a big kid now

You know that saying, "You're only as old as you feel"?  Well, I'm totally on board with that one, because although I turned a whopping 25 years old last month, I still feel like a little kid.  Or at least a high school kid.  Basically, I feel like I'm scamming anyone and everyone who treats me like an adult, or gives me any responsibility whatsoever.  Not because I think I'm totally incompitent, but because of the fact that it seriously feels like just 5 minutes ago I was getting my driver's license!  Guess it was a little longer than that.  Really though, tell me I'm not the only one whose mind is blown when it hits you how long you've been out of high school - I remember thinking 25 was old, and all of a sudden I'm that old person!

Luckily so far, 25 doesn't feel old to me, so I like to think I'm making the most of this milestone year.  I'm a quarter of a century old, for crying out loud!

My phenomenal husband and BFF Rachel made my birthday into a weeklong celebration of sorts to help me ring in my 25th year the right way.  They knew they'd never hear the end of it if they didn't.

This is how it went:


After coming home from my first day at my new job to find the greatest video ever (a montage of Rachel Smith & Rachel Jenkins), Richard and I met up with our favorite friends, Sam and Melissa Bates, for some VIP sushi at the Happy Sumo.  We were really just getting together for fun, and fun we had!




Yummy food & a night at the arcade.

Old people don't do that stuff!




Tuesday, Jenkins brought me some homemade (from a box ha!) cupcakes with candles for us to enjoy while we watched the Biggest Loser.



Wednesday, my actual birthday, I came home to find that Jenkins had decorated my house!



...and on my lunch break she delivered a picture of the current man haunting my dreams, Mr. Kevin Bacon!  Specifically his character from the movie Taking Chance.  Seriously, I've had multiple dreams about him since watching that movie haha



After my volleyball game that night, Rich and I enjoyed our traditional Pumpkin shaped pizza from Papa Murphy's...





Friday night I went for a Witch's Night Out with my favorite ladies



Saturday morning I humored Richard by carving pumpkins with our friends Chuck and Heather Francis...

I hate carving pumpkins.



But I was happy to do him the favor when I found out he was surprising me with a day at the spa for my birthday present!



And after my massage, he surprised me with dinner with the gang at the Brick Oven!




Sunday, things came to a smashing close with my family party...

they know me so well - a beautiful scarf to keep my newly bare neck warm during the winter, a food processor that I've been dying for (my grandma Shirl is a gem!), and...



my mom made me close my eyes while she brought in the big surprise gift...

I was thinking maybe a coat, or a gift card to my favorite store, or (stupidly) a puppy...

it was much better than any of those.



a Kitchen Aid mixer!!!

I've had my dreaming eye on this sexy beast since my foodie adventures began.



I may have shed a tear or two, but they were tears of joy my friends!

Thanks, Mom & Dad!!!



If that week was a sign of things to come in this next quarter-century of my life, then I can't wait to see what the future holds.

25 feels pretty good.

Even if its a joke that I'm actually this old.


3 comments:

Ellie said...

HAHAHA I love it! I totally have been wanting a kitchenaid mixer forever so I can totally relate to how exciting that could be!It sounds like you had a fun birthday!!

Devyn said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY YOU OLD OLD OLD WOMAN!!!!!!!!!!! Dang.. glad I'm not THAT old yet.. lol! I know I feel the same way about the age. I don't feel old. ANd 25 isn't old. But 30 IS and 25 starts the down hill to 30.. so I'm a little scared :) Not really but kinda!

Kami said...

I never comment, but I always read your blog. Your posts are always so fun to read. I just had to tell you that last picture of you is beautiful! You are such a pretty girl! Glad you had a fun birthweek! We are all seriously getting old!