Friday, June 6, 2008

Once upon a time...


We are starting a blog! Well, actually, I'm starting it. When I showed it to Richard he just rolled his eyes and laughed at me. He's gonna love it though, I know he will! Anyway, I'm pretty excited about it.
Anyone who knows us and reads this will already know our story, but I'm going to tell it anyway...just in case.
Richard is originally from Montana ( well, technically he was born in Wyoming, but that's not the point ). On his senior year Spring Break trip with a few friends he stayed in St. George and decided that he would like to go to Dixie State College for school after graduation. He met one of my neighbors there, and they became best friends. After a few semesters he went on his mission to Vina del Mar, Chile ( which he loved! ). His family moved to St. George from Montana, and he finished his Associates of Art at Dixie when he got home from the mission. He stayed really close with my neighbor, who eventually invited him to move up to West Point and live with him so they could play guitars whenever they wanted. Playing guitar is what brought the two of them together in the first place, and Richard wasn't sure what he wanted to do after he got his AA, so he did it.
His first Sunday in the West Point 9th ward was my last before I moved back down to Salt Lake to continue attending the University of Utah. I had been there the previous Spring semester in the dorms, but I had moved out and into an apartment with two of my best friends, Katie and Emilee, and Katie's sister. We saw each other at church, but we didn't talk and we were never introduced to each other. So, I went to school ( sometimes ) and worked at Starbucks in SLC while he played guitar and worked at Fun Daze (owned by his friend's aunt). We were both hanging out with lots of different people, but luckily none of it was working out for either of us! His friend's mom kept telling him "Call Rachel Porter, she's a fun girl!" But Richard didn't want to have to drive all the way to SLC.
Finally, the Friday of Halloween weekend 2005 he called me. I was at work so he left me a message. I had no idea who this stranger was on my voicemail, but the message was so funny that I decided to call him back. We talked for a few minutes and he invited me to go to a haunted house that night, but I already had plans with some friends so I had to say no. He didn't give up, though. He asked me to come watch his new band play their very first show the next night, and I said I would be there. I called my friend Marissa who was in the West Point ward to go with me to the show. She knew him and hung out with his group of friends, so I felt much better about the whole situation. The show was fun, and he asked if I wanted to hang out again. I said yes. The next weekend I went home again and we went to a movie. We started hanging out more and more, and we emailed everyday because he didn't have a cell phone. We got to be really good friends, and he invited me to go home with him to St. George for Thanksgiving. We hadn't even held hands or anything yet, and even though I felt like it was crazy I wanted to go! So I did. It could have blown up in my face, but everything worked out great! He held my hand for the first time on Thanksgiving, and the next day he kissed me. Six months to the day after we met he proposed to me ( it was a complete surprise! ), and here we are today.
Right now we have the summer off, but we are both attending Weber State University. I should graduate next spring with a BS major in Human Performance Management and minor in Nutrition Education, and Richard is working on his Bachelor's in Business Administration ( maybe, he hasn't decided for sure yet ).
Welp, I've written a lot! There is more to come, though, so stay tuned!

3 comments:

Marci and Gary said...

Welcome to the land o' blog! It's fun! We can be blog buddies! I just started one too not long ago. YAY!

Jennifer said...

What a beautiful story!

Tiff and Chris said...

How cute! Welcome to the blogging world.