Thursday, November 6, 2014

reunions


This summer was full of reunions.  The first was one with Richard's high school friend Miles and his adorable family.  Miles' wife is from Australia, so that is where they live.  They were in Utah (and surrounding states) visiting family for a couple of weeks, so Richard made sure we got together with them.  We met at a Golden Corral restaurant because Miles likes to eat at as many buffets as he possibly can when he comes to the states.  I can't remember exactly what his reason was for that - maybe all of his favorite foods in one place? - but we did it.  And really, with kids, it was a good choice.  It was fun listening to Richard and Miles remember the good old days - we laughed a lot.  And it was great getting to know his wife.  We left wishing that they lived much closer than they do because they seem like the kind of couple we would have lots of fun spending time with.



It was also nice that our kids got along.  Like, really well.  I'm sure the other buffet patrons weren't thrilled about it, but they chased each other around our area of the restaurant for a long time.  They weren't breaking anything or making a mess, so we just let them do their thing.  I loved watching Marty make a new little buddy.  I hope he can continue to be that easily amused and open to making new friends for the rest of his life.



We also got a call from our favorite Arizonians, the Haws, and met up with them at the Layton park as they were driving home from a family funeral in Idaho.  I've loved getting to know these guys over the years.  And we have clearly taken our friendship to a whole new level (a subconscious one) because we showed up in matching outfits.  Seriously, this just happened.  Classic.  I really wish these guys lived closer, too.  They are so much fun, and their kids are amazing.  Not to mention, they are incredible examples to us of how to thrive and be patient, happy parents and spouses.  Again, we let the kids run around like crazy, and it worked for everyone.  



My 10-year high school reunion also came around in August.  On our wedding anniversary, actually.  But Richard's band was playing at the Weber County Fair, so I decided to go stag.  I tried to convince Jackie and Ceara to go, but to no avail.  You know, it really worked out, though.  I was looking forward to it, but when I pulled into the school parking lot I started to have a little panic attack.  Not sure why, but I drove around for 5 minutes, took some deep breaths, and then dove in head-first.  Luckily, some friendly faces pulled up next to me, so I didn't have to walk in alone.  And I wasn't the only one without a spouse.  I sat at a table full of old friends (and someone I actually considered an enemy - or maybe a "frenemy" back in high school), and it was great.



It was nice to sit with those people and catch up.  It was also nice to talk about how we wish we'd known things then that we know now.  Maybe we'd have been nicer (even when we didn't know we were being mean), and maybe we'd have been more confident in who we were at the time.  Maybe we wouldn't have taken ourselves so seriously.  And maybe I wouldn't have thought I had an enemy.  Ten years later, it felt really good to sit at that table feeling like I really was or could be friends with everyone there.  It was fun.  And kind of healing in a way that I didn't know I needed to be healed.  As much as I remember loving high school, I guess I've been carrying some emotional baggage, and it was good to dump it.



There weren't many of us at this 10-year reunion, but I really enjoyed spending time with those who showed up.  We walked around the school, which is so different than it was when we were there.  And we even left a note for Mr. Staley, who is one of the very few teachers from "our day" that is still there.  I like to think that we were unforgettable, but who knows if our names even registered in his memory when he saw that note.  Some of us lingered a little longer than others - I think trying to hang on to that feeling that we are actually ok.  OK with each other after all these years, and OK with ourselves.  It was a good feeling.

I ended up wandering around the school grounds with Randall Eames, who was leaving Utah to pursue an educational and career dream of his in California the very next day.  That was probably the cherry on top.  As nervous as I was pulling into that parking lot, and as silly as I felt when my best friends didn't want to join me for the occasion, I am so glad that I went.  And I look forward to the next one.


0 comments: