Tuesday, September 7, 2010

John Mayer: A big dirtbag, and certainly no Paul McCartney.

Way way way back in the day, when I was a junior in high school, my two BFF's (Ceara Dille & Jackie Twitchell) and I went to see John Mayer in concert at USANA amphitheater.  The venue was pretty new, and John Mayer hadn't been famous all that long.  In fact, Maroon 5 was his opening act and they had just released their very first song that summer.  Anyway, I remember having so much fun at that show, and I also remember that Mr. Mayer put on a really good show.  So when I saw that he was coming back to USANA, I decided to take my parents for their birthdays.  My sister, Sarah came, too.  Chelsea opted out.

It was a fun night.  Fancy Taco Time for dinner - my choice!  The music was good (not the opening act, Owl City, they were the worst).  I meant that John Mayer was really, really good.  That is, his music was pretty much out of this world...when he wasn't talking psycho-babble during his songs!  I don't know if he was drunk, or high, or if he's really just a creeper, but it seriously made me question Jennifer Aniston's sanity for dating him over and over.  He talked for like 5 minutes during a stretched-out version of Gravity, which is one of my faves, and it kinda ruined it.  Not to mention, he made fun of people in the audience - totally embarrassed some girl holding a sign.  He did a Jimmy Hendrix cover, which blew us all away, and all of his solos were INSANE.  But I could go the rest of my life without hearing that guy speak (not sing) and be just fine, I'm sure. 

I've since concluded that I was really dumb in high school (I don't think that was it), or Johnny boy's head has grown just a tad and he's now on the D-bag end of the fame spectrum these days.  One thing I know for sure:  He's no Paul McCartney.  And I think Sir Paul may have ruined all future concerts for me, just by rocking my world so so so hard.

Proof that we really did have fun:














4 comments:

Aynna banahna said...

I love his music and I think he's incredible, but he seems like a giant douche to me too. I'm a little glad his music is so good, but kinda sad too because it makes the douchebag thing even harder to deal with

Spencer & Rachel Coleman said...

I am not a fan of John MAyer and I also agree that he seems to be a dirtbag. But I love your hair anyway!

Ellie said...

Rach! I LOVE your hair cut! It seriously looks so good on you :)

Krysten @ Why Girls Are Weird said...

I saw John Mayer way back in the day when he opened for *N SYNC and then again when he was in concert with Counting Crows. Both times he was fantastic but he as a person just really bothers me. And both of the concerts I saw him in were before he turned into a total weirdo.