Friday, July 9, 2010

Freedom...I love it!

...Independence Day 2010...


We started a new tradition  this year & woke up for the West Point 5K & 2-Mile Walk.

Richard ran & I walked with my mom, dad & sister Chelsea Bug.


My dad & I came in 3rd for our age groups.

If Richard had registered for the race he would've taken 2nd in his age group. 

Way to run your guts out, baby!


A medal isn't the only thing I won...

Take a look at my brand new Huffy Cruiser bike that I won in the raffle!!! 

I named it Freedom.  Cheesy, I know.

She's a one speed, but I love her still.  Took her for a spin on Sunday & felt like a kid again. 


This is how much Chelsea loves the West Point Parade.


We all love the parade, actually. 

Richard literally fought little kids for the candy that was thrown into the street.

Look at my dad's face.


This is "our spot" at the white church.  Usually my dad sits up in the back of his truck, but he came down

from his throne to watch the festivities w/ us this year.


Jan's favorite part is the fly-over of the jets. 

She gets right in the middle of the street and screams when they pass us.  Literally.

She's just like a kid & I love it!


My two favorite parts of the parade:

1. Old Naked Guy.

Look up in the right window.  This guy watches the parade from his window every year, w/out a shirt.

He's probably wearing pants, but its much funnier to joke that he's naked!

This year he had a lady friend w/ him!

Kudos, Old Naked Guy!


2. West Point's very own Uncle Sam.

I don't know who this guy is, but I look forward to seeing him each year on his tractor, in the same shirt,

with the same hat, the beard, and his jolly grin! 

It really is like Christmas in July.



I love the 4th of July, mostly because of my family's traditions.

It was such a wonderful day!

I get really frustrated and disheartened with politics & politicians (in both political parties), but I love this country.  I hope someday everyone can work together to make things better rather than get caught up in their own ambitions.

Thanks to all of the men & women who serve this country to make our traditions possible!

3 comments:

Marci and Gary said...

Oh West Point...

I love that there is an ugly naked guy in your post! Best part!

Kami said...

good old west point! I laughed about the Uncle Sam guy...who the heck is that!? Did you catch the tractor rider toward the end of the parade with his butt crack hanging out? That was the highlight for my fam :)

Sam and Melissa said...

Your bike is awesome!!!! That is so cool. I am impressed with all your races you guys are doing.... way to live up the summer! Lets get together SOON!