Sunday, July 3, 2011

just me & daaaa bulls in the windy city

a little over a month ago i went to chicago for a worksite wellness conference...
all alone.

richard was going to come with me for about a minute, but it would've been
super expensive for just a couple of days where i had to work most of the time.
then my bff, jenkins, was gonna come, but we ran into the same dilemma.

i had to suck it up and go by myself.  i was really nervous because although i've flown
by myself before, i'd never gone on a trip where there wasn't someone waiting for me
at my destination.

initially there was some anxiety...
what was i going to do in this big, windy city all by myself?

i got over it pretty quick...



my first night there i explored the miracle mile (michigan ave)




the bean
jake gyllenhaal was waiting patiently for me ;)






buckingham fountain



the funniest art display in a park i've ever seen




had to try the deep dish. 
not gonna lie, it wasn't my favorite.



the delicious cannoli more than made up for it, though.



the next 2 days i made the most of the magnificent department stores.
it was then that i decided i was actually glad that richard hadn't come w/ me
because there's no way the amount of shopping i did would've happened
with him by my side



i recently learned that they call chicago "the windy city" for the politicians who
are constantly blowing hot air (ha!), but it actually was very windy while i was there.
these tulips growing at a slant are proof.



another highlight of the trip was all of the laughing i did while i was reading
bossypants by the wonderful tina fey.
i seriously couldn't stop giggling, so i'm sure my neighbors on the planes and
in the airports thought i was sneaking the mini bar around in my purse.
i wasn't.  the book is just hilarious.



it might sound silly, but i kind of look at this experience as my first solo adventure in life.
i was worried i wouldn't be able to enjoy this grand city because i wouldn't have a sidekick,
but i was pleasantly surprised to discover that i'm a pretty darn good time even if
no one else is around to appreciate it.
i sort of got to look within and get to know myself a little better, and i like what i found.


my recommendations:

step outside your comfort zone, do something alone, and get to know yourself.
don't have such high expectations for the deep dish.
read bossypants, for crying out loud.

mark my words, you will be glad you did all of these things.

1 comments:

Marci and Gary said...

Rachel that is so awesome and BRAVE! I love doing things by myself...going to dinner and movies and such, but CHICAGO? Well done!