Saturday, July 16, 2011

right in the honker

one week ago today we were at richard's baseball game in brigham city.
he was playing left field, and by the 4th inning had already made a few great
plays - including a sliding catch that would take your breath away.

during the 5th inning tyson (richard's brother) and i were both enjoying our
fabulous spot in the shade, and my attention was more focused on the current
issue of city weekly in my lap then on the game until i heard someone on the other
team hit a solid ball and tyson say "oh my gosh..."

at this point i looked up to see richard kneeling in the middle of left field with his
face in his hands and his entire team running toward him.  my stomach jumped into
my throat, and i jumped to my feet.

before i knew it i was in left field looking at richard with a shirt being held over his
face by a teammate, and his hands full of blood.  i didn't say one word.  i just braced
myself for when they would pull the shirt away and his eyeball would be hanging out
of his face...luckily it was just his nose.  i still didn't say much because the insane amount
of blood was messing with my gag reflex.

when i finally did talk, richard said "rach, did you grab the camera?!"  ummm...no!
his stellar teammate took care of him while i got the car and drove it out onto the field
to pick him up and take him to the instacare.

here's the mvp getting in the car



soooo much blood.  dag, dag, dag.



poor guy waiting for the doc.




he broke his septum.  this can happen when you catch a ball
with your face.
he could still breathe, but was super swollen - he and tyson are
pretty much twins, so you can see how swollen.



over the next few days, the swelling went down, and the black eyes
got more colorful.



the black is turning green now, and the swelling is all gone.
but my baby is still mvp.

4 comments:

Rachel Jenkins said...

But the important thing to ask is, did he catch the ball? Was all of his pain and suffering worth it to get the guy out?!?

Daren and Andrea said...

That is a rockin bruise!! And I'm like your friend, I want to know if the hitter got out.
I'm so glad he didn't get hurt worse. Hope all is well with y'all.

Shanna said...

oh my gosh! poor guy. baseball injuries can be pretty vicious. glad he's doin ok.

Rich'n'Rach said...

he definitely stopped the ball, but didn't complete the play - center field did that for him. his black eyes are pretty much gone now, and he's doing great!