Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Happy Easter


I know that Marty is still too young to understand the meaning and all the hype behind most of the things we get excited for him to experience these days.  Easter was one of those things, but it didn't make it any less enjoyable for me or Richard.

We took him to an Easter egg hunt at HAFB that weekend.  Yes, we were the parents who brought a plastic bag because we didn't think about buying a basket (but really, he didn't notice, and it would have just been filled with dirt anyway). And yes, he was more interested in the dirt around the baseball field where the hunt was taking place than in the hunt itself.



Our goal was for him to pick up at least one egg.



It was close.  I think he ended up with three.  I think he only actually picked up one of them on his own, though.  Even that is a miracle when you consider how cutthroat some of those other parents were, pushing their kids around the field at warp-speed, yelling at them to pick up eggs.  Luckily there were only stickers and little plastic prizes in the eggs.  I'd hate to imagine what the parents could have been like had there been candy involved.

There was rather large success that morning:
After the Chuck E. Cheese and Santa Claus incidents, we were pretty nervous about letting the boy see the Easter Bunny.  We weren't going to go out of our way to point him out, and we definitely weren't going to force a photo.  But wouldn't you know, when that giant rabbit was walking across the field toward us, Marty stopped and stared.  And then he actually started walking in his direction to get a closer look.  The bunny stopped a few feet away from Marty and knelt down, reaching out his hand.  Marty didn't move a muscle.  Thank heavens the bunny had the good sense to stand and walk away.  Had he pushed the boundaries of Marty's little bubble, we may have seen a meltdown that morning.  However, Marty decided to follow the bunny to the edge of the field.  It was adorable.  And it also gave us hope that we will one day be able to take him to Disneyland.



Instead of a basket, Marty received an Easter bucket, with a couple a swimsuit, some empty Easter eggs, and the movie Frozen.  I admit, the movie was more for me than it was for him....or so I thought.  He loves the movie and we watch it (or parts of it) almost daily.  I know it's mostly because of the music, so I think we just need to get some other movies with music in them.   



We also went to church to celebrate the true reason for Easter.  And clearly, we are very reverent.  Only the most reverent people take pictures while still in the church building.



I am so grateful for the atonement of my savior, Jesus Christ.  I am blessed to be a wife and mother, but I am far from perfect at either of those things, and I mess up a lot in every other aspect of life, too.  But it is comforting to know that someone understands all that I am going through, and that I can be forgiven of my mistakes.  The fact that there is hope for me to become better, and that I can live with these boys forever is the most special gift.  I am one lucky girl.

0 comments: