Thursday, October 30, 2008

This Old Dawg's Learnin' New Tricks!

After 23 1/2 years of working his way to the top of the ladder at the Standard Examiner, my dad (the best dad in the world!), has a new career! Its a little weird for me because he's been the newspaper guy for my entire life. He started out as a reporter, then went to being a film critic, then a film and TV critic, and then he was made the Editorial Page Editor. There may have been some positions I don't know about, but basically he's done a lot! Editor was a big step up--he got his own office with a "view" and everything! He worked with his BFF Mark Saal, and many other super-tight friends I'm sure he'll have for life. Someone even told me once that my dad was the most influential man in Northern Utah! My family has always been very proud of my dad and his work, and we would NEVER read those other papers in Utah (you know, those ones down in SLC). But my dad is a dad first, and he would read all of the articles about my volleyball team in the other papers, and he would clip the pictures of me (like I said, the best). Anyway, he decided it was time to move on to bigger and better things (and more $$$). He took a position in Public Relations at Questar Gas (the same company my mom works for). Its all brand new stuff he's doing, and he really likes it!
His friends at the Standard threw him a huge going
away party the weekend after his last day, and they invited my sisters and I, too! It was a Rolling Stones themed surprise party, of course, with lots of jokes. It was so fun seeing them pay tribute to my dad like that. It was perfect. I love you, Dad!

Here is the main man arriving for the BIG SURPRISE! My mom had it all planned out w/ his friends...he thought they were picking up some people to go to dinner!


Best cake ever! A long time ago, Dad's friend Andytold him he would be on the cover of the his fave Rolling Stone magazine...it happened that night! All of the story lines are about my dad and his friends. The picture is one my dad sent his buddy Mark the day Mark became a grandpa. Hillarious!

This is just me hangin' with GWB (my dad's "favorite" president).


Dad's BFF Mark Saal wrote a medley of songs for and about him. These guys have been best buds for years! Thay play guitars together all the time, and they are even starting to perform! I only had room on my camera for one of the songs he sang, but its a good one!




Dad and Mom cracking up to Mark's songs. His friend Ron read a speech full of
inside jokes, and Andy made some remarks that had everyone laughing.



Dad w/ the very talented Cal Grondahl. Cal does the editorial cartoons, so they worked together a lot. If you look close, you can see my dad at his desk with his feet propped up, a bandana around his forehead, a Stones picture on the wall, music playing, and his phone in the garbage can with Keith Richards in the background. Dad's dream job!


We were on-call at the mortuary (story of our lives!), so Rich couldn't come to the party. But here's my dad with his favorite girls, and biggest fans. We love Papa Don!

1 comments:

Heidi said...

Ah Rach that's crazy! That's so cool!! That's awesome that they threw such an awesome party for him - I bet that was such a tough decision for him to make! I love love love your family!